Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ditat Deus


For those not from Arizona, or not familiar with Latin, that's Arizona's state motto, it means, "God Enriches." That sums up, better than anything, the way I feel right now. I wrote a little earlier that I was feeling a little down, frustrated, and worried about the future. Well, in the past week some exciting, unforeseen things have happened that have helped change that.

I recently had the opportunity to request a transfer for work to a nicer facility, and one nearer my house, and it looks like it's going to happen! I've been there before, and I like the night crew that I'll be working with. It's on the campus of the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, and it lives up to their high standards and reputation. I'm truly excited, even though it's pretty busy at night, and I'll definitely be "earning my keep" by working there. The only down side is, it's full-time or not at all. So, looks like I'll be working full-time and going to school full-time for a while to come. However, I will not be tutoring, so I'll still have two days during the week to do homework, spend time with my family, and relax.

So that's work, now on to school. This will be a busy semester: I'll be taking 3 sciences (Organic Chemistry, Organic Evolution, and Animal Physiology), and I'll be a research assistant to my Physics and Genetics professors, working on a project studying yeast! No really, it's a cool project. I went in to speak to my advisor a few days ago, and she reassured me immensely, and gave me hope and confidence that I'm on the right path towards getting into medical school. If all goes well, I should be able to graduate from ASU in May of 2011, and, hopefully, enter med school that August.

I was thinking that I would either have to find part-time work, or Shauni would have to, this semester in order to make enough to cover our expenses. But just yesterday, my financial aid refund came in the mail, and it was three times as much as I was expecting! It was like pennies from Heaven! Don't get me wrong, I know where it came from, but I had checked my status just a day or two before the dispersal, and there had been no change; then, all-of-a-sudden, and in our hour of need, we got this huge, unexpected help. Once again, our needs have been provided for, and Shauni will still be able to stay home with our boy, like she wants to, and I will be able to focus on 1 job, and on school. I feel very grateful for all these things, excited about this coming semester, and renewed vigor to pursue my dreams.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME! I should have read this before the other one! Glad it's working out for you guys!

    ReplyDelete